Friday, November 6, 2009

Day 1 (T minus 26 Hours)

I'm not exactly sure just who foot the bill for this retreat, but I need to express my gratitude as it has proven to be a wonderful pre-ordination gift. In total, its been a magnificent time of refreshment and reflection. I could describe it in multiple ways. It has been the momentary quiet between movements of a great concerto. It's been like the Selah between stanzas of the Psalms, or even the white space at the end of a chapter.

It's a bit after 11:00 AM on a crisp Pennsylvania morning and in about 20 minutes or so, my fellow Ordinands and I will be celebrating Eucharist. Lunch will follow and then, there's the trip down the road back home. For now, its time to consider once more this morning's Gospel:
LK 12:35 "Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, [36] like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him. [37] It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes. I tell you the truth, he will dress himself to serve, will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them. [38] It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready, even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night.
Enjoy your mornings.

No comments: